Idris Adjerid is an associate professor in Business Information Technology at the Pamplin College of Business at Virginia Tech. He received his Ph.D. in information systems and management from Carnegie Mellon University and earned both an MBA and a bachelor’s degree in business information technology from Virginia Tech. His research uses econometric methods as well as lab and field experiments and consists of two, often overlapping, streams. The first stream focuses on the economics of privacy, with a focus on the intersection of behavioral economics and privacy decision-making. The second stream focuses on the economics of health care technologies. His research has been published in leading journals, including Management Science, Information Systems Research, MIS Quarterly, American Psychologist, and ACM Computing Surveys. His work and expert commentary have been cited by numerous outlets in the popular press, including The New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, Wired, Politico, and USA Today.
- Buckman J, Adjerid I, Tucker C. (2022). Privacy Regulations and Barriers to Public Health. Management Science.
- Hydari Z, Adjerid I, Striegel, A. (2022). Health Wearables, Gamification, and Healthful Activity. Management Science.
- Somanchi S, Adjerid I, Gross R. (2021). To Predict or Not to Predict: The Case of Inpatient Admissions to the Emergency Department. Production and Operations Management.
- Godinho M, Adjerid I. (2021). The Impact of GDPR on Consumer Consent and Firm Marketing. Management Science.
- Adjerid I, Rachael Purta, Aaron Striegel, Loewenstein G. (2021). Gain-Loss Incentives and Physical Activity: The Role of Choice and Wearable Health Tools. Management Science.
- Jacobs J., Romanosky R., Adjerid I., Baker,W. (2020). Improving Vulnerability Remediation Through Better Exploit Prediction. Journal of Cybersecurity.
- Greenwood B, Adjerid I, Angst C, Meikle N. (2020). How Unbecoming of You: Gender Biases in Perceptions of Ridesharing Performance. Journal of Business Ethics.
- D’Arcy J, Adjerid I, Angst C, Glavas A. (2020). Is It Bad To Be Good? Corporate Social Responsibility and the Risk of Data Breach. Information Systems Research.
- Adjerid I, Acquisti A, Loewenstein G. (2018). Framing, Choice Architecture, and Cascaded Privacy Choices. Management Science.
- Adjerid I, Adler-Milstein J, Angst C. (2018). Reducing Healthcare Spending through Electronic Information Exchange: Aligning Provider and Insurer Incentives. Information Systems Research.
- Adjerid I, Peer E, Acquisti A. (2018). Beyond the Privacy Paradox: Objective versus Relative Risk in Privacy Decision Making. MIS Quarterly.
- Adjerid I and Kelley K. (2018). Big Data Research in Psychology: A Framework for Research Advancement. American Psychologist.
- Acquisti A, Adjerid I, Balbeko R, Brandimarte L, Cranor L, Komanduri S, Leon P, Sadeh N, Wang Y, Wilson S. (2017). Privacy and Security Nudges: Using Behavioral Economics to Improve Users’ Choices. ACM Computing Surveys.
- Adjerid, I., Acquisti, A., Telang, R., Padman, R., & Adler-Milstein, J. (2015). The Impact of Privacy Regulation and Technology Incentives: The Case of Health Information Exchanges. Management Science.